Happy Cinco de Mayo!
It has been a pretty good week. I’m in the “wrapping things up” phase right now. Next week is my last week as an intern at Parents magazine. I’m truly sad about it. It has been such a wonderful experience for me and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I learned SO much about the behind-the-scenes aspect of magazines, made amazing connections with the staff and grew up a lot. It feels like home now and it’s going to be strange leaving. On to the next adventure: Glamour magazine. 🙂
A lot of people ask me if I regret “missing out” on a semester of college, and my answer is always, “no freaking way, because I didn’t miss out.” I hate thinking about things that way. I didn’t miss out, I traded it for another rich experience. It’s all in your perspective. Interning at a major magazine in college is not an opportunity you pass up if you want a career in the industry! You have to go after what you want in this world and that means pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone.
And now for the weekly finds…
1. Cinnamon. I put it on everything from yogurt to salmon. I’m not even kidding about the salmon. Maybe I’m weird, but it gives grilled salmon a touch of delicacy. Try it! Plus, it keeps your blood sugar in check.
2. HIIT runs. 30 minutes and you are off the treadmill. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE running outside, but the treadmill is so boring. It kills my running vibe. So, with this workout you get on and off quickly. I usually warm up for 5 minutes at 6.0. Then I do 5-minute shifts of HIIT. I go anywhere from a 10.0-11.0 pace for 20 seconds, take 10 seconds off, and then hit the sprint again. I keep this up for 5 minutes and then take it easy for 5 minutes at a 7.0 pace. I do three rounds of 5-minute HIITS with 2 break rounds in between for a 30 minute workout. Studies have found that HIIT workouts are more effective for your body than an hour long jog. I personally think mixing it up is the best combo, but after you try a HIIT workout, you will know why it’s so effective.
3. Yogurt bowls. Seriously, this could very well be my favorite meal. I get a Greek yogurt, Justin’s almond butter packet, cup of oats, banana, handful of chocolate chips and then mix it all together. YUM!
4. My new kicks. Best. running. shoes. ever.
5. Pushups. I know they suck, but they are the most effective exercise. If there is one thing that I have found out about exercise over the years, it’s that the movements you hate are the ones that will transform your body. Cut out the moves that don’t push your body and focus on the ones, like pushups, that bring you to the next level.
Time to get back to studying for finals. Yippee.